Everyday With Emily

Everyday With Emily

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Emily's World

Since Jeff and I have been married we have not had a land line.  We both use our cell phones and find it unnecessary to pay an extra bill for a land line.  So Emily is used to cell phones and finds the phone at my desk at church amazing!  Emily has many play cell phones, five that I can think of off the top of my head.  

The other day Emily and I were doing a puzzle in her room.  In the middle of the puzzle she said, "Hold on, that's my phone".  She picked up her Elmo cell phone which always plays "Elmo's World" when you open it.  She listened to the song, looked at the phone and said, "Oh, it must have just been a text message".  It was so funny. 

I sometimes think about the technology Emily has at three verses the technology I had at three. Yesterday at a neighbors house Emily went to a pretend computer and said, "I have to check my email".  When I was three, we had phones with cords and a TV with an antenna and no remote.  We had no VCR much less a DVR or anything like that.  We had no microwaves or computers.  It is amazing to think about how different things were.  We had no internet or email.  Just books, phone calls and the US mail. Think about how different even TV is.  We had maybe 4 channels and the only kids shows available were a few PBS shows and Saturday morning cartoons.  Emily has constant children's television available with the ability to record any show.  She can pause or rewind the TV whenever she wants. It's amazing to think about the technology that Emily just knows as regular life.  How things have changed!  Then I think about how my grandparents and even parents grew up and it blows my mind.   What will Emily's children grow up with?  I can only imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment