Everyday With Emily

Everyday With Emily

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good Manners

I have always wanted Emily to have good manners.  I feel like good manners are more than just "please and thank you".  Yes, those words are important but to me manners are about learning how your actions effect other people and learning personal responsibility. We want her to learn that her actions have consequeses for her and other people.

Lately, Emily's behavior has been quite challenging.  She is three and I have to remind myself that she is three and this behavior is a part of being three.  I had someone ask me why she was all of the sudden behaving like this and I said I think the problem is that she is three:)  She gets angry and yells when she doesn't get her way.  She has a bad attitude sometimes and hasn't been listening very well.  She is sometimes rough with her friends, not trying to be mean, but just not thinking about what she is doing and how it makes her friends feel.  She is three and this behavior is typical but that doesn't mean we tell her it's okay.  Jeff and I are doing our best to use this three year old behavior to teach and guide her. 


 I felt like we had really been "on her " lately always correcting her and putting her in "time out" and taking things away from her.  I wanted to try to use positive reinforcement as well so we started a Good Manners Sticker Chart.

I put divided into three areas for her to work on.  Kind words and actions, good attitude and waiting your turn to talk.  Many things can fall under these areas.  For instance, listening to Mommy and Daddy and obeying is a part of being kind and having a good attitude.  We are trying to make her think about how her actions effect other people and we are trying to teach her to treat others the way she wants to be treated and to think about how her actions make other people feel.

We went to the dollar store and she picked out some "prizes" for a treasure box she decorated.  When she fills up the sticker chart she gets to get a prize from her box.  We've been working on this chart for 11 days.  Some days she gets a sticker for all three areas and there have been a few days where she has no stickers at the end of the day but we start fresh every day. 
Some days are better than others but our goals are not just short term but very long term so we keep going!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment